A team of transatlantic (and transpacific) all stars here showing the world of soul music from the perspective of one of Detroit’s favorite venues. Volume 4 from MotorCity Wine’s recording arm showcases music from Mark de Clive-Lowe, Andy Compton, Jon Dixon, Motomitsu and more – and it showcases them at their best. Packed onto 12 dense inches pressed by Archer, “Wondering Who” from MdCL delivers the goods with two mixes drunk on soul. Unlike past generations of music fans (see: Boomers and Rock’n’Roll), it isn’t hard to trace every revival to its source and if broken beat is what you want nobody serves it up with more loving grace than Mark de Clive-Lowe. “Sol Origin” is mesmerizing, built by Soul-T and Loftsoul around an organ and dazzling electric guitar licks from (I think) The Rurals’ Andy Compton.
This was released in September, one of two 2019 releases from MotorCity Wine Recordings. Unlike 99% of the records you bought last September, these tracks will never go out of style.
V/A: MotorCity Wine Recordings #4 / MotorCity Wine Recordings (September 2019 / 12″ Vinyl)
1. Mark de Clive-Lowe – Wondering Who (Nautz L8 Nite Edit) (07:01)
2. Motomitsu – La Musique (06:24)
3. Brandon Williams feat. Jon Dixon & De’Sean Jones – Twenty-One (05:23
4. Loftsoul x Soul-T feat. Andy Compton – Sol Origin (07:01)
5. Mark de Clive-Lowe – Wondering Who (Original Mix) (04:39)